Tuesday 28 April 2015

Day 28: Bopping in Bexley and Barking in Bromley


BEXLEY


Bexleyheath Central Library
3.15 pm
19.6 km from Covent Garden


Bexleyheath Library was built during the closing stages of the Cold War and is now designated a Human Rallying Point and Shelter in the event of the Zombie Apocalypse.


Here me and the audience could shelter while the dead walk the earth and the rush hour traffic clogged up the roads.


BROMLEY



Bromley Central Library
7.15 pm
15.4 km from Covent Garden


So far we've had libraries with gardens, cafes and even a sauna but Bromley Central is attached to a full sized repertory theatre. Currently showing The History Boys by Allen Bennett.

It's also nine stories high, giving in unparallelled views over South London, with its own secondary auditorium which, amazingly, was full of people when I arrived.

Here I was told by a guy in the audience that while teaching Policing and Crime at college he used my books as a lazy way to introduce his students to police culture.

I was tempted to ask whether I could get a fee for that but managed to restrain myself.



NEXT: Wanstead in Redbridge, Yorkshire North East London!








1 comment:

vesper said...

Thank you Ben for agreeing to have your picture taken with me - "Vesper" aka Roy Hobson CInstCES 1990, RICS 1984 (resigned 1989), Grad Dipl QS 1981.

Janet Benton of Bexley Libraries, was the lady who did the opening reading for you, and she also kindly took the picture of us, using my basic Nokia phone. After a few connection problems, I managed to send the picture to Andrew Webster, my old friend from Addey & Stanhope School in New Cross, and he then posted it on his facebook page under the heading - Roy with Ben Aaronovitch of www.cityread.london.'SAVE LONDON LIBRARIES'

I immediately shared it to my own page under the heading 'SAVE LONDON LIBRARIES'. Here is the link on facebook https://www.facebook.com/roy.hobson.965/posts/10153897028619569?notif_t=like

I loved the way you gave a BIG THIMBS UP to my call to "SAVE LONDON LIBRARIES" while Janet was taking our picture. Since 2010 Bexley Council have unloaded two libraries, Bexley Village Library, and Slade Green Library. Four more libraries are currently under threat North Heath, Belevedere, Bostall and Blackfen. Mary Honeyball the Labour MEP for London has been backing our 'SAVE LONDON LIBRARIES' campaign, which has also won support from Darren Johnson the Green Party London Assembly Member.